Enjoy the gorgeous open water bayou views and nightly sunsets from this delightful second floor condo. With wide plank tile flooring throughout, there’s a nice flow to th...
Coquina Key is a friendly residential island community on historic Tampa Bay. The Real Estate community is made up of affordable single-family homes and many beautiful waterfront properties. Two large, well-managed apartment complexes offer affordable home options. The island has easy access via two bridges: one at 39th Avenue SE, and the other at 47th Avenue SE. Downtown St. Petersburg is located three miles to the north via 4th Street. For shopping convenience, Coquina Key Plaza is just two blocks from the southern bridge. A spacious city park is located on Big Bayou. It offers two lighted soccer fields, four lighted tennis courts, a basketball court, a fitness course, children's playground, fishing dock and a scenic view of the bayou.
Homes on the island consist primarily of single-family Florida ranch style architecture. Most of them built in the late 1950s to early 1960s. There are also stilt style homes, duplexes and apartments.
Coquina Key was not always known as such. In the late 1800s, it was known as "Goat Island" although it was a peninsula. Around 1910, the Lewis Family, owners of one of the first general stores downtown, bought the land and unsuccessfully attempted to parcel it for home development.
In 1920, Charles Hall (Lakewood Estates developer) cut a channel from Big Bayou to Little Bayou that transformed the peninsula into an island. At that point, it was called Lewis Island. In 1955, the Mackle brothers purchased most of the island and started what is today's community. In 1957, the Mackle brothers sold the land they did not develop to Irving Gree and Associates who decided to change the name. Elkcam Boulevard was named for the Mackle family (Elkcam is Mackle spelled backwards). A contest was held to establish a new name. St. Petersburg officials selected Coquina Key from 10,000 entries.
The Mahaffey family bought property on the southeast end of the island in 1971 and built the first of two apartment complexes. The second was completed in 1979, on the northwest end. In 1973, the City of St. Petersburg acquired the land where the present park rests from the Florida Power Employees Club.
Coquina Key has completed a city and a state-sponsored neighborhood plan aimed at revitalizing the neighborhood to benefit all of the island community. The residents have established an active crime watch organization that meets once a month. Other social groups include a garden club, cruising club, swimming club and a well-established neighborhood association. The neighborhood association holds special events each year to encourage community spirit. These events include cleanups, neighborhood garage sales, picnics and Thursday night Bingo (September - May).